Friday, June 27, 2014

A Time to Regroup

Having finished uploading the full text of my novel South Sea Gold to this blog site last week, it's time to be working on what comes next. I am gathering some short stories and articles for my next book, but that is still in an early stage, and may appear here occasionally. At the same time, a problem has come up with some of my past work, which a publisher has removed from part of the market until I sign an agreement, with a small-print paragraph appended as a "disclaimer" at the bottom: "Please note that by opting in you are granting [name of company] full distribution rights of your content to whichever partners we deem suitable for your material . . . . These rights will remain in perpetuity as we acquire new partners in the future." Phrases like "full rights" of any kind, and "in perpetuity", immediately raise a red warning flag in my mind, as it should, I believe, in any author. If an author willingly sells his copyright for pre-agreed compensation, that is one thing. When a company tat has emphasized in its ads that the author retains copyright and that the company has non-exclusive rights to this or that, then the so-called disclaimer changes the whole playing field. The company's employee who replied to my query supplied a dictionary definition of "perpetuity" as a very long time or the state of continuing forever, but explained that that means until either the author or the company cancels the publication. No comment about non-exclusive rights versus full rights. ?? To me, this looks like they are seeking a transfer of copyright, the only protection of a book's content an author has. I don't think I'll sign that form. If they choose to exercise their non-exclusive right to discontinue my product, they may do so. I'll exercise my right to go elsewhere. The Internet offers a number of sites that evaluate publishers, literary agents, etc. One I have found helpful is Preditors and Editors (note the site's intentional spelling.) It publishes advice about choosing wisely, and facts about scams and questionable practices. So do some research. It's a lot more rewarding than arguments with a corporate underling, or having to seek a lawyer.

No comments: