Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Getting Back Online

Dahlbergbooks.com has been on the Internet for about sixteen years, ever since Judson Press published the first edition of my father's biography. At the time, I had just published my first novel, Flame Tree, which required a lot of research on Burma in addition to my own experiences during five years there. Burma (now Myanmar – two syllables, silent ' r ') is changing. The military government has mellowed somewhat but still maintains tight control. Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi is no longer under house arrest, and is an active member of Parliament.

My original URL was hosted by an outfit that no longer functions. Its successor still carries the site, bills me every year, but rarely answers phone calls or emails, and seems unable to update content. I can access each page, and connect with updates of existing links and my blog (a different website), but I can't enter anything about my two more recent novels or the book to come.

The local techie at the computer shop assures me my physical house network is connected right, and a friend with more cyber-expertise than I is building a new URL for me that actually works, and allows reader input.

Meanwhile my new collection of people who successfully accomplish their goal is starting to come together. Some interviews need updating, and in a couple of instances, I must be careful not to encroach on books they are working on. But it's fun to be back at work.

No comments: